Läsvärd artikel med åsikter om OCD

Cyllene

Trådstartare
Holsteiner-blod och hopphästavel generellt.

Klipper in den här och länkar. Den är lång.

“You can only sell one thing – the showjumper who jumps the best, or the best dressage horse. That’s the only thing that sells – the main goal of breeding is the sporthorse. I have one mare, and everything she breeds has a chip either in the fetlock or in the stifle, or in the hock. Whatever. But they jump like hell, and make me so much money you can’t believe it! You have to take a chip out here and there, but they can jump. One is in Canada that had a chip in one hock, one in Ireland by Carthago had chips in both hocks but jumps unbelievable – so I don’t throw that mare away. It would be nice if the mare bred foals that did not have chips, but that is not the goal of the breeding – the goal is to breed good jumpers.”

OCD is heritable?
“Everything is heritable but it is a very difficult pattern of heritability, but for sure it is in the mare line. Some mares give it to all their foals. The problem with the stallion is that you cannot always see if the stallion will produce it. That’s why we are thinking of changing the system in Holland so it is not so strict on the stallions, but to look what he breeds – if there are 20 foals, do they have more OCD than the other ones? There are some ‘false negatives’ – stallions that don’t have it but spread it. There are others where it comes back, maybe in the third generation but not in the first.”

Would you knowingly breed with a stallion that was an OCD carrier?
“It depends. If I have a very strong mare and there are a lot of other reasons to use the stallion, then I use him. We have a few here in Holland that we know they give OCD, it’s not so nice, but some of them are good. There is one dressage stallion, 5 out of 10 have it, and the sons by him, also have it, but they are very nice horses. You don’t throw them away because they make OCD horses – it is a part of the breeding, you have to know it, but it’s not the main goal.”

Should the stallion owner be required to disclose to the mare owners if his stallion breeds OCD?
“In Holland we throw the stallions out, they are not allowed to breed. Every horse that is KWPN approved is OCD free, or it is not allowed to breed.”

So is OCD now less of a problem in Holland?
“We see it much less than in other countries. We have in Holland much sounder horses than everywhere else. I have 45 two year olds of my own, and I have been x-raying them to see where we should go, and what not to do, and with the German blood we always have something different. The ones that are not sound are nearly always the ones from a German mother – in Holland we have made very good progress on the soundness side, but we must be careful not to throw away too much of the rest.”

What is the goal in your jumping program?
“To breed international showjumping performers, to go to the top. It is very important to know your mare, that’s the most important thing. If I have a Julio mare, not so big but sound and very quick and reactive, then I am looking not for a Thoroughbred – I’m looking for a heavy horse, and maybe one that is not careful enough – that doesn’t matter because the Julio mother will give them carefulness for sure. But if I have a heavy mare that is very strong and very powerful, but a bit slow, then I am looking for a different stallion. Always try to improve what is lacking, don’t double up, don’t breed a big bully to a big bully. Try to find a good match up.”

If you breed a well bred jumping mare to a good jumping stallion, how sure can you be that you will get a jumper?
“Seventy percent. If you are very careful then you can do 70%, then it depends on little things, like the rider. It depends also on the mare lines, some mare lines are so strong. I have one old mare, the three quarter Thoroughbred mare, Twiggy, and Ovidius, the good sire in Holland now, is her grandson. Madison was a good jumper out of this mare. From the same family comes Baltimoor, that jumped internationally with Geir Guliksen. Now we have a Carthago son out of the same family. Nearly all of them jump – how good they are in the end depends on who gets them.”

At Aachen in the Grand Prix of 2004, three of the four horses in the jump off were from the Holstein C – C cross. How important are those two C lines?
“It is the same philosophy that we were talking about before of not doubling up. Cor de la Bryère – extremely careful, they lack a bit of scope sometimes because they are not so good in the back. The other is the Capitol line, dumb power. No brain, just power, a lot of power. If you mix that, get a little bit of quality from Cor de la Bryère (by the Thoroughbred, Rantzau) and add to that the power, then you have the right mixture. You hope for the right mixture.”
“Sometimes we use that Capitol line, because we have quite a lot of blood, and we need power. For the Julio mares you need scope and power, all the quality is there, you just add scope.”

Do you think that showjumping breeding has developed so far that now we have a hundred very good jumping stallions so we will not have the great ‘hero’ stallions like Ramiro, or Almé or Gotthard in the future?
“There are more good ones than there were in the past for sure, and it is not so easy to be a star like Voltaire or Ramiro, because a lot of people are sending their mares to many different stallions, not just using one stallion. Ramiro he made some nice horses, but he also made some normal horses, very normal. But now there are so many stallions everywhere, that no one stallion gets enough mares to be the superstar. But among those ‘equal’ ones, there will be one in the end who will be the better stallion for sure. It is always the same family they come from, the dam line is so important, always look to the dam it is much more important than the father.”

If you could have any stallion in the world now – free gift – who would you take, Quidam?
“I used Quidam years ago when no-one heard of him. I bought Guidam out of his first crop. I heard that Quidam de Revel was jumping good, and he has got the most fantastic pedigree in the world, it’s all international or Olympic horses. So I looked for, and found, Guidam, who also proved to be a very good sire, I’m always looking for something new. Quidam de Revel is no longer a goal for me, everyone is using him. It was nice to breed to with him at the time when no one used him, too crowded on the bus. And I believe his son Guidam is better, if he gets the same mares as his father, he is better, more rideable, more elasticity, more power to collect. That is very important for the showjumper, to be able to collect your body, to make a stride on a metre and jump up – that is one of the most important things.
There are some nice young horses, Carry – a Holstein horse in Germany – he’s a nice horse.”

What about Darco?
“Darco is fantastic. You need a special mare, you don’t want to go with a big bully to Darco, you need some blood, with a strong back. It’s not so much looking around for stallions, I like to know my mare all year round and then find a stallion that will fit that mare. Aldatus, he is in Ireland now, he makes good horses, I think he will be very popular in a few years time.”

You are not only a breeder – you have a training barn?
“I have a dressage rider, he has about 10/15 horses, my son is now home, he was with Henk Hoorn for two years, and he is riding jumping horse, then we have a young man who rides the young horses. We have quite a lot of horses coming out every day.”
“I like to give every horse a chance, to see where they go to. I sold Authentic to Beezie Madden as a three year old, now I have the opportunity to hold onto horses longer and see where they go.”

Sv: Läsvärd artikel med åsikter om OCD

“The problem with the modern breeding world is that there is too much fashion, everybody runs everywhere, and that means nobody arrives somewhere. They run from here to there. Five years ago I was talking to a breeder at a stallion show, and he said ‘it’s funny near me there is a man who always has good horses. In the past he only went to his next door neighbour, who is a stallion owner, and this man always had the best horses. Now he is running all around the world, ordering semen everywhere, but it is still the same breeder who has the best horses, the others can’t compete with him because their mares are not good enough. You can in-breed to a donkey if you want – but you still have a donkey. You need the power of a good mare. That is the part that people forget, you need the power of a family. If you don’t have much money you are better to buy not such a good mare from a good family than buy a good mare from a shit family – she will never breed, she doesn’t have the genes to breed. This mother was a very small Lucky Boy mare, 158 cm, I think she was a twin, she was born in the field but this little thing has bred unbelievable horses in dressage and showjumping. That’s a very strong mare. It is not always the individual that you look at – that’s a fault of the fashion world, they look too much for the special horse, they want a star mare or a kur mare. You need a good family, that’s the only thing that comes back.”

“From this strong old family there were Dutch champions as early as the 1950s, one side went to the dressage, one more to the jumping, but still the same strong family, with sound legs and a good mind. This is one of my main lines, and the second one is Twiggy. I bought her by luck. Her mother was by Koridon, who jumped 1.90 metres. She’s a good jumper herself, she’s a full sister to Best of Luck, who went to California. She bred Dammen, he’s a son of Almé, and a stallion in Sweden because of the semen thing. She bred with Creol, she is the grand-mother of Ovidius, a very good six year old stallion, she had one by Ahorn that jumped internationally – everything out of that mare line can jump.”

“I’m not sure why this happens but it seems to me that you cannot use the animal’s body twice – to have it a showjumper until it is 14/15 and then into the breeding, it hardly ever works. Ratina didn’t work. It might just be that it is too much to expect from the body. It’s funny but everybody has a certain age when you produce the best, with a milking cow, it is the third to the fifth calf that gives more milk. I cannot explain why it happens with horses but it does seem that you can’t use the body double, to be a good sporthorse and then to be a good mother.”

Everyone seems to have gone off using embryo transplants – once they were the big thing in Europe, now no-one very much is doing it?
“Because it cost a lot of money, and not enough comes out of it. It is not like a cow, with the horse it is very important in the first four or five months, which mare is next to the foal. They tried to use the cold blood mares – nothing – the cold blood mare just stands under the tree, and the foal just stands around too, and he is a dummy, he is ruined for life before he is one year old. We should have known it, because an orphan is a terrible animal, people treat orphan foals like dogs – bring them into the kitchen, oh he is so sweet – and they kill everybody. I have seen 3 or 4 like that in my practice and they were all shot, by the time they are three or four years old, they are dangerous, no education. That’s the trick with the mother, it is very important, who educates the foal. What they use now are Warmblood mares, maybe that is better.”

What I used to do with the 3 year olds, is breed one or two foals, then try the mare as a sport horse. I don’t do that any more. Now I will have 10/15 three year olds, and I pick 2 or 3 that I like, and the free jump well, they go straight into the broodmare band, they don’t do anything else. Don’t try to do everything with them.. it doesn’t work.”

“With the Thoroughbreds, they did tests on thousands of foals, and the foals from the mare aged 6 to 10/11 were the best.”

And so it was time to leave, with warm thanks for Dr Greve’s valuable time, and a promise to meet again for another interview in the not too distant future - with breeders like Jan Greve there is always so much to learn.

Länken:
http://www.horsemagazine.com/ARTICLES/G/Greve/TwJG.html

Tycker han resonerar väldigt vettigt angående mödernet.

You can in-breed to a donkey if you want – but you still have a donkey. You need the power of a good mare. That is the part that people forget, you need the power of a family. If you don’t have much money you are better to buy not such a good mare from a good family than buy a good mare from a shit family – she will never breed, she doesn’t have the genes to breed.

Och där fick vi lite mer info om Dammen och varför han hamnade i Sverige.

Intressant läsning! Fast jag hängde inte riktigt med på om han nu ville eller inte ville avla på hingstar med OCD/nedärvde OCD.

utan att öppna länken, VEM är det som intervjuas? För det är så jag tolkar texten (har läst första inlägget ännu)

Uppfödaren Jan Greve, uppfödare till Dammen mfl.

Senast ändrad:

Jätteintressant. Men hur bra stofamilj ska man satsa på (alltså: vilka resultat ska man kräva av stofamiljen) ? Och håller ni med honom om att man ska avla bort defekterna - annars har jag mest hört talas om förstärkningsavel?

Hur tänker ni när ni väljer hingst till ert sto?

Det jag tycker vi saknar här är stostammar/familjer som presterat något. Här har vi ston som är (exteriört) bedömda som unghästar och fått sina bokstäver och sen satts i avel. Tittar vi i allt som har med avel att göra så står det fortfarande mest om hingsten.

Säg tex att det ska visas en unghäst efter QE. Då står det först massor om honom, sen massor om Quidam, sen Landgraf och alla deras prestationer. SO WHAT????

Men vad är det för mamma? Vad har mamman presterat? Syskon? Mormor och mammans syskon?

Jag reagerade starkt på detta när deltagarlistan/katalogen kom ut för saluhästarna på aktionen på Flyinge.

Hade det varit i Tyskland så hade det inte stått ett ord om QE och hans härstamning. Däremot full info om mödernet.

Ett exempel från auktionen sist jag var nere. Hingst e Stakkato -Graf Grannus - Calypso - Gotthard.
Sen står mammans resultat från zuchtstuteprufung.8,8/7,5/8.
Mormor har också lämnat godkända Graf Top e Graf Grannus, Grafin Top e Graf Grannus med resultat i Svår hoppning.

Osv. Sammanlagt nämns ca 15 hästar med resultat i Svår hoppning från samma mödernestam.

DET är ju mer intressant att veta än vad Stakkato har gjort. Förstår du hur jag menar? Alla här verkar ha såna "hangups" på hingstarna och fokuserar fortfarande inte det minsta på mödernet.

Jag visste inget om mödernet på mitt tyska sto när jag köpte henne. (Var liksom inte meningen - en liten olycka). Sen låg jag som vanligt där nere och lusläste Eylers "Ausgewählte hengste" modell äldre och kände igen ett namn i stammen på en hingst. Fram med passet till nya hästen och insåg att det var en bror till mamman. Kollade upp det hela lite till och insåg att jag ridit en bror till henne sommaren innan och han gick 1,40 som 7-åring.

Nu med facit i hand så vet jag följande:

Hon har en helbror som gick unghäst-VM förra året som 6-åring.
En halvbror som hittills går 1,50.

Mamman har en bror som är godkänd och som gått svår hoppning. Dessutom flera syskon i olika discipliner.

Mormor har en bror som är godkänd och stod på Celle innan han exporterades till Canada där han gick svår hoppning.

Mitt sto har själv inte gjort så mycket än. Hon är stor och valpig och behöver tid. Hade jag varit smart skulle jag betäckt henne direkt, men nu blev det inte så. Men ska man tro på vad han skriver i artikeln så är hon bättre i aveln än mitt förra sto vars möderne inte hade gjort ett dyft men hon var bättre.

Nu börjar jag nog bli trött och svammlar. Jag kanske kan förklara lite mer hur jag menar imorgon.

Senast ändrad:

Kontentan av det hela - jag tror inte vi har tillräckligt många bra ston i Sverige. Spelar ingen roll hur många bra hingstar vi köper in om vi inte byter upp oss lite på sto-fronten.

En svensk kom ner till Tyskland i somras för att köpa föl e Highness. Hennes eget sto här hemma hade inte tagit sig med annan hingst året innan och nu ville hon inte chansa.

Vi åkte runt och kollade på ett 10-tal föl i varierad ålder. Det slutade med att hon köpte både sto och föl och tog sitt svenska sto ur avel.

Med det vill jag inte ha sagt att vi bara har skitston i Sverige! Absolut inte. Men jag tror ändå det avlas på mycket för dåliga ston...

Kan ha berättat det förut, men jag släpade med mitt tyska sto till ny hopptränare (som också har seminstation) och han tittade på henne en stund och sa "skulle det komma ett enda sto på en sommar som såg ut sådär skulle jag gråta av gläjde!". Vad säger det egentligen? Så speciell är hon inte!

Nu!

I rest my case,

sovdags!

Otroligt bra skrivet, Greve är ju en väldigt aktad och kunnig man.
Jag har lagt av med halvblodsavel men har ett sto kvar som ska sättas i avel efter min dotter är klar med henne hon kommer ur sto stam F2 hennes mamma var syster till Marlene F2. Hon har potential.
Jag började med något mer lätthanterligt nämligen ridponnyer och där handlar det om samma avel.
Jag har köpt in mina avelsston både ur de bästa Brittiska, Holländska och Tyska stammarna dom har långa meritlistor av avkommor med prestation.
Sedan har jag lyckats få ifatt 4 avelshingstar med fantastiska prestationsstammar och som i två av fallen har visat att dom ger avkommor på EM nivå(det högsta en ponny kan komma). Men fortfarande är det folk som avlar på ston med tveksam härkomst och hingstar utan någon historia....
Avel är verkligen intressant!

Tänkte bara på en intressant händelse som jag och en kompis var ute för när vi annonserade ut våra hingstföl samtidigt. Stammen på mitt föl är Acacio-Turban Rose-Midas-Steinpilz xx. Mitt sto gick 1,25 med placeringar som 6-åring innan skada (trauma, skadan förärvs ej ), hennes mor (imp. Tyskland) är placerad i 1,50 där, likaså två av hennes helsyskon samt i sin tur hennes mor. Fölets far är placerad i 1,50, likaså Midas och Steinpilz xx som båda har tävlat int. med vinster och placeringar, att Turban Rose är en god hoppförärvare trots att han själv inte kunde tävla vet nog de flesta, det är stoets första föl.
Kompisens föl är e.Cardento-Irco Mena-Monaco, vad hon vet har ingen av tre generationer ston tävlats, stoets första föl och Irco Mena stoet fick bara ett föl, och hon vet inga andra nära släktingar på mödernet som tävlat mer än LB. Jag fick tre svar på min annons, kompisen fick 12 svar på sin annons, annonserna var likvärdiga i utseende då jag gjorde båda. Båda fölen är sålda, hennes för mer pengar än mitt då det fäderneblodet nog ansågs mer attraktivt i sporten och det blev budgivning då flera ville ha det fölet.

Jag drar bara slutsatsen av denna händelse att tävlingsryttare som vill ha en påläggskalv i Sverige ( det var många sådana som hörde av sig på Cardentofölet) tittar mer på fädernet än på mödernet och köper det som är mest populärt utan att bry sig så mycket om vad stoet har gjort.
Glömde nämna att mitt föl visades med 46 p, det andra fölet visades inte då det just då var i stor växtfas, så enligt mitt sätt att se det hade jag själv hellre köpt ett kl.1 föl än ett ovisat föl om man bara går på individerna och ej på stammen, Cardentofölet var också väldigt "orörligt" när spekulanter kom då det växte.

Det är nog annorlunda i Tyskland där man nog generellt verkar mer insatt i stostammar och bryr sig om vad stona presterat. Avelsfolket bryr sig kanske om stonas meriter även i Sverige, men ofta är det de som ska rida och tävla hästarna som är den stora målgruppen köpare. Detta är bara min erfarenhet av årets försäljning av våra två föl, det kanske inte är så annars?

Det är precis det jag menar! Exakt så det var till den där unghästauktionen på Flyinge. Men kollar man i Tyskland så kollar ryttarna/köparna mödernet.

Tror svenska ryttare har rätt dålig koll på avel...

Enligt artikeln ovan skulle man köpt ditt föl och inte kompisens ju!

Ja, men hur ändrar man på den inställningen hos ryttarna? Anordna kurser riktade till den målgruppen??

:D

Något för hopphästgruppen att ta tag i! Tala om för ryttarna vad de ska leta efter helt enkelt!

Men skrev du ut det där i annonsen? Om du bara skrev ut hingstarna i stammen så hade ju folk ingen möjlighet att ta reda på mödernets prestation?

Ja, det är klart att jag skrev ut vad mödernet hade presterat när jag nu har ett sto med ett meriterat möderne.

Han förklarar det tidigare i artikeln. Dvs att i labbtester verkar sperman ha dålig kvalitet, därför kasseras hingsten. Om jag fattat rätt.

Liknande trådar

• Artikel
Företag We are located on the north side of Lake Balaton. Surrounded by hills and vineyards, we have access to excellent trails and even better...
Svar
· Visningar
Kropp & Själ Läste en artikel och såg då detta. Finns det någon mer som över huvud taget hört talas om detta? Jag känner jag inte har en i närheten...
Svar
· Visningar
Senast: 95johsv
·
L
  • Artikel
Dagbok Idag så släppte Ed Sheeran ett nytt album. Och som ni kanske vet så älskar jag hans musik ❤️ Och jag har iprincip inte sovit nånting...
Svar
· Visningar
Samhälle Synpunkter på det? Jag läste någonstans att Sverige toppar Europa med mest korttransaktioner per capita. Vet inte om Swich räknas som...
18 19 20
Svar
· Visningar
12 833
Senast: Inte_Ung
·

Bukefalos, Hästnyheter, Radannonser

Allmänt, Barn, Dagbok

Hund, Katt, Andra Djur

Hästrelaterat

Omröstningar

Tillbaka